theWaterCoolerChapel

.................................................................................................................

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Remembering Columbine High School...





TheWaterCoolerChapel has decided to focus on the 11 year anniversary of those lives that were affected at Columbine High School on April 20th 1999. Today you will hear from some young adults that spent time at the memorial and you will see some images that have moved me to deepen my roots in Denver Colorado. 


After a handful of awesome interviews from some "world changers" around the globe, my focus changed because my heart just could not leave what the Columbine Memorial had laid on it. About a week ago, I had the honor of meeting up with almost a dozen hungry and zealous young adults from Nampa Idaho's Family Life Church who came here to serve our home church The Pearl. As we sat at Chipotle trying to calm our anxious tummies, my eyes looked over each intern wondering what experience in the up coming week would be the seed that would shape their ministry minded lives... I never thought that my life would be so impacted on the day that we prayed for Columbine High School, the community and the city of Denver.


I hope that as you see the photos and hear a few words from some contrite interns, that a seed will be planted in your hearts... a seed that will bear fruit and has the ability to change the world. Jesus said to His disciples in John 14:12, "The truth is, anyone who believes in Me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father." 


I believe that "world changers" are not extreme people... "world changers" are people who dream but are motivated by accomplishing one goal at a time. What are our goals this week and do they point to our dreams? Can we choose to make an impact on our community by just being consistently sold out to our covenant of providing what it needs or simply by listening to the bleeding hearts of the hopeless?


April 20th, 1999, has the ability to see a risen community change the world and the opportunity of "starting" with a generation and "staying" with them until we leave this mortal flesh. 


"Columbine High School... you are BRAVE, IMPORTANT and you have my heart. You have overcome a civil devastation with HONOR and PRIDE. The world looks at you with RESPECT and a wonder of what that day was like. No medal or memorial can replace the losses that were ripped from your hearts or the visual pictures that stick to deepest parts of your soul... but thank you for pressing forward, not backwards!


Cole Massey




























www.columbinememorial.org


Marissa: "When I came i didn't know the facts of how many people were killed or injured on that day but even without that information I felt such a heaviness upon walking up to the memorial, so much so that I was moved to tears. My heart was breaking for the people who have been affected. I saw that each person who died had a plaque in their honor, and beyond that there was a wall of quotes. One particular quote which impacted me was from a student. It read, "Some say that there are defining moments in our lifetime, but I will not let this event define me." That really spoke to me about moving on from tragedy.


Amy: "I too thought the atmosphere felt somber and heavy when we arrived, but as we were praying, the words everyone kept hearing from God were "open life", prophesying that the heaviness would lift. I felt so excited when we left, despite the heaviness we felt when we got there."


Samson: "When we were walking and in prayer, and while we were reading the testimonies at the memorial, I sensed a loud voice saying "we died for what we believed in" and when the echo of those gunshots faded this voice arose bringing healing and strength- I know that God is turning for good what the devil meant for evil."


Trent: "This experience was different for me because I've been to memorials. I have visited war memorials in Washington, D.C., ones my parents had seen on the news when they were young, but this is the first one I've seen for our generation. It really hit home with me. I read the testimonies of what the parents had said about the victims, and each of us interns identified with a particular student. We have similar interests, played the same sports, and I wondered if I were in the same situation 'Would I do the same?'
I believe there is something spiritual arising out of the dust of this tragedy."


Rose: "I heard that a lot of depression hit on the 10-year anniversary of Columbine. the Columbine shooting has been looked at as a tragedy, which it was, but I believe it doesn't have to be depressing. I see it as a way to find God's strength and discover the power of grace; the Bible says His power is made strong when we recognize our weakness. I believe there is an awakening coming to this school."


BELOW is a tribute song to one of the students that was killed that day. 
thank you FLYLEAF





>thank you for reading!




>words and letters long for your eyes next week!


CHANGE THE WORLD YOU BIRTHED INTO!!! labor is painful, but life is a gift!





3 comments:

  1. This is just awesome, Cole and Lacey. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!! I remember being in high school during this time, I was a sophomore I believe and it still hits home! I am glad the FLC SOE interns got to see the memorial. It woke America up to a lot of issues that had been suppressed in high schools...I think it brought a unity of 'classes' and illuminated the power of words and actions! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cole, that is awesome. I have never been to the memorial. That mememorial is so important for every generation. Not only the Late twenties groups but the parents, grandparents and the kids and parents right now.
    What has changed in schools since Columbine? Metal Detectors......More awareness of troubled youths.....those are fine. However what you are doing is awesome, guiding people into a relationship with God. For the student that "didn't have any answers", A relationship with God is still one that our schools and government still fight to keep out.

    God Bless you two. I just want to lift you up and thank you for building people UP>

    Greg

    ReplyDelete